Star Wars: The Old Republic

Major clan news. Posts also appear on the main website. Anyone can reply but only leaders may create a thread here.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Thinkharder » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:39 am

We are not playing SWTOR as a clan, but if you wish to hook up with those of us who are playing then you can find us playing as Sith on the US East Coast PvP server "Prophecy of the Five".
Pack Leader and Site/Forum Admin
Thinkharder
Pack Leader

Steam: Thinkharder
Origin: Think85

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Seraph » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:04 pm

Ya'll still playing this? Is it any good? Is it just a WoW clone, or something more?

How about the PvP?
Crafting?
Seraph
SC Officer

Steam: Beliathon
Origin: Halfhand84

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Thinkharder » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Still playing.

It's good, but not at all anything like our ideal game, as expected of course. It's simple, linear and story based Star Wars style combat, just as you would expect from SW and Bioware. Generic MMO quests are enhanced by Star Wars epicness, but it amounts to the same thing. It's incredibly polished with minimal bugs and it is quite well balanced overall. The world design, overall artistic direct, style, attention to detail and polish is second to none. Group zones/instances are good and can be a real challenge.

PvP is reasonable, but mostly warzone based - so small groups in instances. There is open and forced (ie you are automatically PvP enabled when you enter) faction based PvP on the contested planets, but I've not experienced any yet at level 25. The 2 planets I've been on that have contested areas have been void of enemies. I hear it opens up more as you progress though and eases you into it, like it does very well with everything to be honest - the "tutorial" system is very good.

Crafting is unusual at first, but in the end is generic. Your companions do the actual "crafting" which at first is a novelty, but in the end it amounts to the same thing - you use what they call "crew skills" to do i - you collect stuff to craft with either in the world or by sending your companions off to do it, you get schematics by either buying them or looting them, then you send your companion off to craft - what you get back has a random (I think) chance to be better than normal etc. Bonus being you can craft anywhere at any time you just gotta wait for them to finish crafting.

All in all it's an enjoyable game that never sets out to be anything other than what it is. Good for a bit of fun when bored.
Pack Leader and Site/Forum Admin
Thinkharder
Pack Leader

Steam: Thinkharder
Origin: Think85

Return to Public News